Starting the Two Page Spread

 The final part of the magazine begins NOW


I have been really excited about this part of the magazine, but also very hesitant. This is the most important part of the piece and I want it to be executed well. A few weeks ago I wrote in this post that I would be using this concept as inspiration. 
Of course, this is just a rough sketch but it could work. For today, I am aiming for getting some ideas on the page and going off of that. I have 16 days until this entire project is due (including the CCR, which I am not looking forward to) so it's time to get serious and get this done.


Since I am working on Canva, I have been adding pages to my current "project" to keep it all under one section. This means I am going to have to try to manually align the pages and text between the first to the second page.

By taking ideas from the drawing I made, I would need a horizontal photo that works with the story. I only have two options that I liked so I put both into Canva and tested it out.
So this is the first concept and while the picture is visually pleasing with the clouds and bright colors with the turf, it's slightly hard to see the people in it and to figure out what it's capturing. Also, the yard lines made it difficult to frame the title.

I think this photo works perfectly with the page. The title is color matched with the picture and is easy to see. I used another sunset picture to tie into the title. The one thing that is driving me crazy is the blurred lines with the reflected light from the light post things. I tried using the program I used to edit them out in the cover but it wasn't coming out clean enough. I'm going to leave it for now and I'll keep trying to perfect it throughout the week because I think it could make the picture go from good to great. 

What I am going to have most difficulty with is spacing the entire story. Luckily for me, I already wrote the story and just have to paste it into the page. I wrote it last year in newspaper and it's perfect for this magazine. I took the first few paragraphs as a starting point and added it to the page. After looking at various magazines, I decided I really want to incorporate a pullout quote. So, that's exactly what I did. 
I lifted and minimized the picture in order to give myself more space for the story. The story itself is 593 words, which is quite a lot. This may make it difficult to situate all of the text onto these two pages, but I think I can do it. I took the pullout quote and situated it on the right side because I thought it flowed better on the page instead of on the left where the story starts. I added the quotation mark graphic to add to the page because I felt like it needed something else to break up all of the text. I am actually really happy with how this turned out, especially because this was my first attempt laying out a story on Canva. 



In my next post I will be laying out the rest of the story (or what I can get done) so stay tuned!!


Comments