2 Page Spread Ideas

 One of the aspects of this project that I was looking forward to the most is the two page spread. Since I am in newspaper now, I have had experience laying out a story on a page and figuring out its placement etc. There are so many different ways to lay out a story and I think I can make this something that truly works. My inspiration for this part of the magazine is coming from a few places. I am going to look at past projects, Pinterest, and Sports Illustrated to see how other people have incorporated their many elements into creating a spread. 

This is one of my favorite spreads that I have seen because of the way the photos were incorporated. This and the color scheme makes the page very visually pleasing. The page is clearly about the University of North Carolina and their colors are notable in general, but using them in a simplistic way on this page worked very well. Something else I really liked about this is how there are pullout quotes along with the photos. For my story, I have numerous quotes I could use in this way. Another aspect I found interesting is how large the headline photo is, but it's not overwhelming. I'm not a big fan of when a title on a spread is just on the top of a page with nothing special to it. I'm not sure how I feel about the different background colors on each of the pages. I think it feels sort of divided between pages even thought it's one continuous story. I might test it out on my own spread but I don't expect me to use it for the finished product. 
This is an example from a past Media AS Project. I took this image as inspiration because of the photo at the bottom and how it carries into the next page. This definitely creates a sense of continuity between pages, but I'm not sure if I can do that with my story. I will be using Canva to create my magazine so it might be hard to use a single image across two pages on a one page template. I'm not 100% sure about this so when I start laying out and using Canva I will check but it is a cool idea that I would like to try. I know I said I don't particularly like when titles are just spread out across the top of a page, but this one adds a sense of creativity while also being a horizontal heading at the top. The two fonts make it more interesting, but I'll have to see how this could work with my title. The title I used for the newspaper when this story was published was "Spring Football Startup." This is a much shorter title than the one used in this example, but I could do something like the "Headlining Heels" story and make some words larger than others to highlight them in the heading. Again, these are all just ideas I'm throwing out there and I'm going to try them all out. 

It feels like I have so much to do and so little time to do it but I'm trying to remember that I still have basically four weeks to get this all done which sounds like a lot. I think I have a good starting point to jump off of with so many ideas in my head. 

This is a concept I came up with (yes it is similar to the Sports Illustrated UNC story) that looks pretty good to me but I won't be 100% sure if it will work with my story until I actually try it out. It uses pullout quotes and pictures but also makes sure the text is cohesive. I would have the three columns of text on the first page and two on the second because I would use two pictures on that page. I don't know which picture I would use for the title so I can't decide how I want the actual title to lay. For my first spread concept I think this coulddd work but we'll see when I open up Canva next week. 
That's it for now. Check back for my last post of the week where I talk about the table of contents!

Comments