Representation

 Women in sports

    When choosing what I wanted my film opening to be about, I took representation into high consideration. The topic of women in sports is something I feel very passionately about and incorporating it into the opening seemed like a good idea. The backbone of my film opening will be a girl playing football. There are many movies that show women playing or being a part of sports, but I feel that they are still underrepresented.


Personally, I play girls flag football, which makes it even more important for me to show that girls can play football too. The plot of my opening is based on a girl that wants to play footballs, but has all of these voices telling her that she can't. This shows how the real world feels towards women and girls playing football, or sports in general, compared to men. 

 

    I wish that others in society would realize how underrepresented women and girls are in the sports world. I know that my film opening will not change how the world is, but it will hopefully show people how girls that play football feel. I know that I have felt underrepresented and under appreciated many times in my life, so it is important to show that in the project. 

    Movies like Draft Day and A League of Their Own put women in sports on full display. Draft Day features Jennifer Gardner as an NFL finance manager, showing a woman in sports management. A League of Their Own focuses on an all-female baseball team. This was an especially important film as it was released in 1992 and featured something that had not been shown often at the time.

Draft Day shows the pushback a female in football management would, and does, receive by her male counterparts. The representation demonstrated by Jennifer Gardner makes the film unique.




    Representation of women in sports should be a larger conversation than it is. Considering how I feel on this topic, it makes sense to focus on this within my project. 

Comments