Social Media Research

I love marketing

I am a big fan of social media. The ability to express yourself on an online platform. Taking that a step forward, I love looking at how companies, teams, and products use social media. A new movie came out? Let me see how they are using their socials to market it. A new sneaker was released? Let me see how that shoe brand is promoting it. There are so many ways companies can use Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, Facebook, and even more to promote their product. Now, it's time to take a deep dive into some examples to influence me in creating a social media page for a movie of my own. I am going to be looking at the feeds of films that are in a similar genre to the one Abby and I are using: sci-fi/fantasy. Of course, I will be starting with Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Everything Everywhere All at Once


Media text: Everything Everywhere All at Once
Social media tool: Instagram 
Description of types of posts: Each post utilizes the same font and usual white text. For the individual posts, the account stuck to the same font and color scheme. This post in particular shows where the film is distributed once hitting theaters. I like how the posts are subtle, yet you would be able to tell that it was posted by Everything Everywhere because of the font and googly eyes in the background.
Description of how branding is developed (or not): The profile picture being a googly eye works for the film (assuming you have seen it) as it appears many times throughout. I like how this account utilizes highlights as well as their main posts. 
Analysis of how you will use this to develop your own social media presence: For our socials, we are going to use highlights in order to interact with our audiences. We will be using Instagram as our social media platform as this will connect with our target audience the best.


Arrival

Media text: Arrival
Social media tool: Instagram
Description of type of posts: This Instagram page is very different from the previous one in that they took a different approach to their posts. Instead of using graphics and simple posts, they used videos from the film primarily. This can be said for both before and after the release of the film.




Description of how branding is developed (or not): This is the only part of the Instagram feed that would be noticeable by the audience. The object in the posts is a crucial part to the film so I like how they used it in various posts. This was also posted in the early stage of the platform, so it was used as the movie poster. 
Analysis of how you will use this to develop your own social media presence: For our project, we will be using more behind-the-scenes footage and graphics/picture content. I like how they had different variations of the same concept. We will definitely take this into account.

Don't Look Up

Media text: Don't Look Up
Social media tool: Instagram
Description of types of posts: This movie's Instagram was also different from Everywhere Everything in that they took a busier approach. They used a broad color scheme that featured many colors rather than the simple white, red, and black like the Everything Everywhere one. They posted a mixture of photos and videos, but relied heavily on the highlights. 
Description of how branding is developed (or not): I really like the way they used highlights because they featured many aspects of their marketing and film promotion. The colors in both the highlight covers, profile picture, and text within the texts make the entire page stand out. I'm just not sure if the extremely busy approach was the right one. At first glance, there is a lot going on, but I like how the colors maintained the same throughout.
Analysis of how you will use this to develop your own social media presence: I would like to do something similar for our Instagram page where we have aspects that maintain continuity, but I don't think we should use so many different techniques. We will use highlights similar to how this page did to promote our film.

I usually don't enjoy making research posts (even though I know they are necessary) but I had a fun time with this one. I really am excited to make our social media page and promote our film. Check back later this week for more content!


Comments