Creating a Cover

 You could argue this happen with almost everything but the more I look at the cover I made in the last post, the more I feel like it isn't my best work. It gets the job done, but does it do the job well? I went back to Canva to look at more templates. This time I filtered the search to "sports magazine covers" for different layout and font options. I went through some and just started playing around with them but I ultimately fell back to a similar template as the first option.

Here are the two options I was experimenting with. I really like the font of the title on the right cover but I tried it on the layout I decided on later and the sizing didn't fit on the heading. The concept on the left was vetoed quickly as it doesn't feel very "sports magaziney." 
I found this template and it caught my attention. Yes, it is basically the same as the template I used in my last post but there are some differences that I really like. The shadow behind the text in the middle gave me an idea for my title. 
I kept the header the same and raised the shadow box to create the issue name of the magazine. I don't think I should add the subtext I had in the last concept because it might be a little too crowded but I did add the date and issue number at the bottom to make it more like a real magazine. I'm not sure how I feel about the yellow for the title but I think it feels more like a magazine than the first idea. 
The original:

I don't know, it just feels choppy and doesn't have a sports feel to it. The font for the title is a little more dainty than what I am trying to get across. The newer concept has a much bolder title with less excess text on the cover.


Now that I decided on which cover I will be using (the newer one), I can now start the table of contents! Check back later this week to see my initial plans.

Comments