Genre Conventions and Representation

How does your product use or challenge conventions and how does it represent social groups or issues?

This is the 1st question for the CCR so I thought I would address it in a post.


In order to answer this question, I had to go back and look at my research from when I was just starting the come up with an idea for the film opening. "The Way Up" can be categorized as an action film, but it has some differences from other movies within the genre. 

Disclaimer: the following information presented is from a post I wrote on February 15.

                                
                                                                                    Jurassic Park (1993)
                                                                                

The Jurassic Park films focus heavily on special effects to demonstrate action. Apart from post production editing, foley is also used.



Avengers: Endgame (2019)


The Avengers films are all known to contain high action stunts, camera shots, and character development. I will utilize these techniques within my film opening.






After creating my film, I can tell that it is slightly different from the majority of action films. For one, there are no fight scenes. When someone says "action movie" you start to think about fight scenes. But what "The Way Up" does have are clear cut characters. It is obvious who is the hero and villain in the first two minutes. Oakley and her mom are not so much the hero and villain, but more the good guy and bad guy in the film. This website was great for researching genre conventions and how they are used. My film features a Person vs Person conflict as well as Person vs Society. I will talk about that more in the next part of the post. 
    Another convention my film illustrates is the power divide between characters. It is shown that Oakley's mom and other adults in her life have power over her. This can be seen in the film opening when Oakley is clearly distraught by the adults saying degrading things towards what she loves doing: playing football. 


Representation

    Not only is "The Way Up" an action film, but it is also focused on sports. More specifically, women in football. We are continuing to see a growth in representation of women in sports, but there is still so much to be done. When movies are made about sports, they generally focus on a male lead. This is the first way my film goes against the norm. I wanted to show that girls can play football too, and it shouldn't be a struggle. Despite the adults in Oakley's life being against her wanting to play, she is determined to do what she feels is right. 
    "The Way Up" is also focusing on the issue that women are underrepresented in sports. Although some people do not see this as an issue, I felt that it was important to address it and communicate it through the film opening.

Comments