Storyboarding and Shot Lists

 Storyboarding The Way Up

    When I started doing the storyboard for the film opening, I was having a hard time visualizing what the scenes would look like. I am not a generally creative person, and definitely not good a drawing, so it was difficult for me to get this vital part of the project started. After an excessive amount of erasing, this is what I came up with:

    Like I said before, I don't have the greatest drawing abilities. Because of this, I researched for a better solution. I came upon StudioBinder, a website that allows you to create your own storyboard and shot lists. Due to me being a below average artist, this made it easier as the website lets you import images from the computer to make the storyboard. When it comes to a shot list, the website has a simple template that incorporates the small details any shot list would need. I thought that the import images from computer function would be the solution, but I ended up using the shot I drew from the original storyboard instead. I did this because it made the shots seem more real and easier to visualize compared to an online image.


This is an example of what adding a new shot to the shot list would look like. You can customize what parts you want in the set up, making it very useful when it comes to the planning and production process. The specific details like what type of shot it is or the camera movement will prove to be crucial in the filming process.




    What I found must difficult in the shot listing process was figuring out the transition from one shot to the next. 

This is a picture of the first 10 shots from the shot list.







    Using StudioBinder helped me figure out how each shot would look and the best order for everything to go smoothly. I found that shot listing is much more beneficial to me compared to storyboarding. When I begin filming, I might find that my time management within the project is off. What I mean by this is the shots may take longer than I had originally anticipated, so I will have to cut some short.

Comments